Friday, 5 March 2010

Paris!

A few weeks back Trevor and I went on a SUPER fun weekend trip to Paris!  I like to refer to it as out "Babymoon", of course Trevor thought that was silly and refused to refer to it as such; and that's one of the many inexplicable reasons I love him so much! :)

Below are a hopefully sequential photographic account of our trip.  Starting at the Eurostar train station, St. Pancras in London.  We actually missed our first train due to horrible London traffic, but were lucky enough to be helped by the nicest Eurostar employee, Isabelle, who changed our tickets for free (shh, don't tell)!


I was really excited about riding the train!  I have always wanted to travel Europe by rail, it sounds so old-fashion and romantic.  Plus, it goes UNDER the English Channel!  





Streets of Paris (on our way to the Hotel).  I went picture crazy as soon as we got in the cab!  I just thought everything was so neat, and I love cities that have a distinct feel and architecture of their own.




The hotel was amazing!  Our room was so comfy and the hotel was beautiful and wonderfully located by the Louvre and walking distance to so many sites.  Oh and the Lobby was amazing! Well the real Lobby was tiny, but to get to the elevator you had to walk through their parlor dining area that always smelled like fresh baked pastries and sweets!  I wish I could bottle the scent and wear it everyday- I was in heaven!

Our first night we went to a fancy dinner at Guy Savoy.  It was the best meal I have had to date (and probably ever will, if I am being honest with myself)!  The highlights of our menu were, duck foie gras, sea bass with vanilla ginger foam (this was my favorite), poached lobster tail and claw, creamy artichoke soup with black truffles and parmesan (they are famous for this soup), lamb five ways, and they brought out about five different desserts that were ALL amazing!  This baby is going to come out with a refined palette, that's for sure!




True to form, we woke up early on Saturday and were surprised by the overnight snow fall.  It felt like we were the only people in Paris for most of the day (one of the perks of going to Paris in the off-season)!  This is the Jardin des Tuileries across from our hotel.






The Louvre - so peaceful and beautiful.  




The Louvre again, just me and Trev!  









The Muse d'Orsay, on the left bank of the river Seine.  We spent our Saturday morning here.




The Muse d'Orsay use to be a train station.  The architecture was amazing.




We then went to the Rodin sculpture garden and museum.  




The Rodin museum.  The artist actually lived and worked in this house towards the end of his life.  Can you tell the pond is covered in ice?  It was pretty cold, but beautiful!



Trevor in the garden.  





Me in the garden with my earmuffs.  They were lifesavers, I don't know how I survived the first half of the winter without them!?




"The Thinker"  He was really excited to pose for this picture.




Eiffel Tower pic!




The Eiffel Tower from the other side.  It started to snow soon after this pic was taken, but not for long.




Saturday hot chocolate break at our hotel (also where we ate our breakfast every morning).  This was the best hot chocolate I have ever had, so thick and rich, but not too sweet- I don't know how they do it, but it was amazing!  

That night we went to a great little restaurant that Trevor found on tripadvisor, Le Petit Bordelais.  The food was great and the restaurant was really homie.  After that we walked over to The Ritz to check out the Heminway Bar, which was a must see on Trevor's list.  It was the bar frequented by the author and subsequently renamed after him.  So cool and tiny with rustic decor- Trevor loved it of course.




Sunday morning at Notre Dame.  




Above the doorway of Notre Dame.



After tons of walking on Sunday we needed another hot chocolate break.  Angelina is famous for their hot chocolate and macaroons.  It was right by our hotel so we always saw the long line of people waiting to get in, which only added to its' desirability.



After - we ordered way to much!  It was so good, but I think the cinnamon hot chocolate at our hotel still wins.




At our hotel about to go out for out last night in Paris.  We went on a nice walk, stopped for a drink (sparkling water for me) at a fancy hotel, and then one last dinner out on the town.  

This was such s fun trip that I will never forget!  We left dreaming about the next time we would get the chance to go back... always a good sign after a vacation.










2 comments:

  1. Great photos, Kath! Looks like y'all had the city to yourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww your "babymoon" looks like it was amazing. Does the Eiffel Tower still light up in the winter?

    ReplyDelete